Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rewind



There have been a few things that occurred before and after Sienna was born and took over my blog that I want to take a moment to post about.

Number 1. Matt got the Newel K. Whitney award. He was nominated by at least two business professors and only 8 people get this award in the business department. Here is a little description of the Newel K. Whitney award. "Awards are given to students who are honored for their character, academic performance, and desire to build the Kingdom of God.  Selected students are nominated by their department faculty and are those who they feel would represent the Church, University, and Department as an exemplary employable-quality graduate. The Newel K. Whitney Scholar award is in memory of the early Church leader who used his gifts, talents and means to build the kingdom of God. Whitney was innovative, frugal, and honest. Additionally, he was able to improve his business yet remain loyal to the Church despite hard times. "He was a successful businessman, a presiding bishop of the Church, a prominent civic official, and a notable member of his community." (D. Michael Quinn, "The Newel K Whitney Family," Ensign, December 1978, 42.) Whitney was part of the School of the Prophets and an in-depth, effective communicator. This award in his name is given to students who have displayed similar traits. Specifically, you are being honored for your character, diligence and pursuit of excellence."




Number 2. Matt graduated. I was really happy I was able to return to the states so I could be there to support Matt in this accomplishment. Matt was also playing the piano for a little business choir. Matt did so well this last semester. He had a pretty heavy load of classes, was a teachers assistant and the executive secretary of our ward which made him really busy Sundays, one of our only days to relax. He did great in all of his classes and worked so hard. I am pretty proud of him and all his accomplishments.  I know it was so important to him that I be there and I am glad Sienna was able to wait a couple of days to come because we cut it close. We returned to Canada on the 12th of April and she was born on the 15th. I was positive I wasn't going to go into labour while I was in the states but I never dreamed about anything going wrong that would cause me to need an emergency c-section. All I know is I am grateful she waited cause having her in the states would've been EXPENSIVE. We never would've recovered. 




Number 3. Matt and I celebrated our first year anniversary. Two days before she was born Matt and I were on a walk and talked about what we'd like to do. We were kind of limited cause first off it was a Sunday so we couldn't really go out to eat or anything, second it was 5 days from my due date so we didn't want to go anywhere farther the lethbridge in case I went into labour. So we settled with  making lasagna, which was our first date meal and one that Matt does a fantastic job of making, getting sparkling apple juice, watching our wedding video, making predictions for the next year, and watching a movie with popcorn or milkshakes or both. Well... That didn't quite go as planned. Instead, we spent the morning in the hospital, had lunch at Wendy's (so classy, I know) and drove to cardston to have a yummy family dinner at my aunts house. We did end up watching our wedding video but that was the only thing we did from our original plan. But it was great getting to spend some of it with our baby girl, regardless of the circumstances.
It is so hard to believe that one whole year has gone by. So many unexpected and wonderful things have occurred and we couldn't be happier. You might want to stop reading now if you don't like a little mushy gushy talk. I am so grateful I married Matt. I would've been a fool to let him go. He is honestly my other half. I feel like we compliment each other so well and also teach each other and help one another grow. He makes me think more about serving others in small ways like letting someone go ahead of me into the elevator or holding the door open for someone, or just simply saying hello. I have fallen more in love with him as I have watched him take on the role of a father. He is so sweet with Sienna. I love watching him kiss her little feet and smile down at her. He doesn't complain about changing diapers either, which is a plus cause this baby has a lot of stinky ones. I can't wait for what the future holds for us as a couple and as a family. 

No comments: