Sunday, September 27, 2009

Special People

Sorry I have the tendency to blog all at once. It isn't a very good habit and I should be come more of a consistent blogger then a compulsive blogger. This blog is dedicated to special people in the world. When I say special people I am referring to those that have special needs. First special person is super fly. OKay this guy I met in Virginia in the coffeeshop I worked at. I was a little put off by him at first. He doesn't have the nicest smile in the world (click on the picture for enlarged version) and he is just kind of crazy. But he is the funniest man ever and I have been so blessed to know him. He started calling me his girlfriend and I would either call him boyfriend or baby. He was always so excited to see me and I was always thrilled to see him. I honestly believe I made a small difference in his life and he made a huge difference in mine. A day just wasn't complete without seeing superfly around and getting a big hug and almost toothless grin from him.

Next on the agenda is this girl named Emily who I met in the temple on saturday. She came with a group of youth to do baptisms. We were sitting in the confirming room waiting for the men to come and start. She was standing at the front of them room and asked "who has key number 28"...and I'm feeling a little nervous because I got dressed in the same locker as her and am thinking I'm number 28. So I look down at my key and low and behold there is a 28 on it. So I said thats me...and she started walking over to me and reached up her hands and I don't know why but I'm thinking she is going to hit me when she envelops me in a big hug. It seriously made my day. Just because I was in the same locker as her we became instant friends. Thats what I love about special needs people. They give love so freely and don't care who you are.
There are so many special people in my life I would write another long post which I hate doing. So I'll briefly mention the next ones.
Pia- The disabled lady I watch. She always has nice things to say about me. Whether it's I look good that day (she's partially blind but I appreciate the gesture) or that she loves to play with me she has a way of making me appreciate all that I have been blessed with and helps me enjoy the small things as she does.
nameless guy- He comes into extra foods every once in awhile. One day years ago he claims he saw me pouting while working so he makes it a habit of coming in and putting on a big frown and tells me thats what I was doing when he walked in and that I just need to smile and be happy. Thanks to that reminder I try to smile the rest of the day. Life is just to short to live it frowning.
Ecuador Kids- At first I was a little put off by the special needs kids in Ecuador. I didn't know how to interact or love them. One of the other volunteers opened my eyes to how special they were by saying that they were the Lord's most valiant servants who were at the front of the battlefield and received the most damage so the were sent to earth in less then perfect bodies to teach us to love and appreciate our blessings. after learning that lesson i looked forward to spending time with those beautiful angels and feel closer to the Lord through them.

No comments: